Raising kids with healthy teeth and gums is essential to establishing a lifetime of proper oral care. Taking your child to the pediatric dentist in Lowell is vital, allowing them to develop trust and comfort with the dental team. During their routine care, your child will receive an exam, tooth polish, and fluoride treatment for kids.
An astonishing amount of children are in need of fluoride treatment. According to the National Institute of Dental Research, 42% of children ages 2-11 have cavities on their primary teeth and 23% of those children will have cavities. Dentists using fluoride treatment for kids are able to reduce cavities in children by up to 60%.
What Is Fluoride Treatment for Kids?
Fluoride treatment for kids (also known as fluoride varnish) is a mineral that is applied to the teeth which helps prevent, and slow down. It does this by strengthening the tooth enamel and making it more resistant to acid attacks from sugars and bacteria. Typically, children can receive treatment every 3-6 months, depending on the need.
When your child receives fluoride treatment for kids from Dr. Mona Beylin, you can assured that the treatment is safe. Fluoride treatments only use proper small dosages. It is even safe if your child swallows it, which may happen since it tastes so great!
The fluoride treatment is applied with a brush and only takes a few seconds. Some children may cry and wiggle due to fear of the unknown. Fluoride treatment for kids causes no harm or pain to your child.
How Do Cavities Affect Kids?
Cavities, or tooth decay, can be painful and cause difficulty with eating and speaking. If cavities are not treated promptly, they can cause permanent damage to the teeth which results in pain and further treatment.
A combination of poor oral hygiene and inadequate fluoride protection causes Cavities Plaque forms on the tooth surface, which leads to acid attacks from bacteria and sugar, resulting in holes in the teeth. Poor oral hygiene allows this process to continue, while fluoride protection helps to strengthen the enamel and protect it from acid attacks.
It’s best to protect a child’s teeth when possible. Early loss of primary (baby) teeth can lead to problems such as altered jaw growth and crooked or crowded teeth. When permanent teeth begin to erupt, it’s also important to make sure fluoride protection is maintained.
Benefits of Fluoride Treatment for Kids
Periodic fluoride treatment helps prevent cavities, the most common chronic disease in children in the U.S. If you find that your child may need increased at-home care for the number of cavities they develop, Dr. Mona can answer any questions you may have. Dr. Mona can even prescribe a fluoride varnish for children so that they may continue care at home.
Please note that pediatric fluoride treatment does not prevent all cavities. You must continue to brush and floss regularly, eat well and consider your child’s natural genetic tendencies. Here are two of the primary benefits of fluoride treatment for kids:
#1 – Fluoride helps strengthen tooth enamel, making teeth more resistant to decay.
Fluoride varnish is a great way to help protect your child’s teeth from cavities and other dental problems. The fluoride helps to create a hard, protective layer on the surface of the tooth, making it more resistant to the acids and bacteria that cause cavities.
#2 – Fluoride treatment for kids helps remineralize affected areas.
When decay has already affected an area of the tooth, fluoride treatment can help to remineralize the area. This helps to reduce further damage and helps to strengthen weak spots.
Other Preventive Dental Procedures to Avoid Cavities
- Proper and regular brushing and flossing – Brushing your child’s teeth twice a day and flossing once daily are essential ways to prevent tooth cavities.
- Routine dental checkups – Having routine dental checkups allows your child’s dentist to detect any signs of decay and address them before they become more severe.
- Dental cleanings – Professional cleanings are necessary to remove plaque, tartar and other debris that can’t be removed through brushing and flossing.
- Dental sealants – Sealants are a thin coating applied to the chewing surfaces of molars that helps protect against cavities.
- Fillings – If a cavity has already developed, a filling can be placed to help prevent further decay.
- Baby root canals – If a cavity reaches the nerve of the tooth, a root canal may be necessary to save the tooth.
- Space maintainers – If your child has lost a baby tooth prematurely, a space maintainer can be used to prevent adult teeth from shifting into the empty space.
- Teeth whitening – Teeth whitening can be done to remove surface stains and brighten your child’s smile.
- Athletic mouthguards – Athletic mouthguards can help protect your child’s teeth and soft tissues during sports.
- Orthodontics – Orthodontic treatments, such as braces and clear aligners, can help to straighten teeth for a more aligned and healthier smile.
Book a Consultation with a Trusted Pediatric Dentist & Orthodontist
At Kangaroo Smiles, we offer fluoride treatment for kids and a variety of other preventive and restorative services to keep their teeth healthy. We understand the importance of early and preventive care for kids. Our experienced dentists can help parents ensure their children have healthy, beautiful smiles
Dr. Mona Beylin and our pediatric dental team are experienced in working with young patients and providing fluoride treatments. We prioritize your child’s comfort and strive to provide the highest quality care for all their dental needs. Kids of all ages are welcome and we’ll work with you to create a personalized treatment plan that fits your needs.
We have two offices in Lowell and Methuen, Massachusetts. Our pediatric dental office welcomes patients from surrounding cities and neighborhoods, including Lowell, Methuen, Essex County, Lawrence, North Andover, and Salem.
Book an appointment with us on our website to receive comprehensive dental care for your child. Contact any of our two offices if you have any questions or concerns about fluoride treatments for kids. We look forward to meeting you and providing your child with the best dental care!